• Latest News

    Some of BSM Marlins top swimmers were once again in action in…
    Read more...

bsm-sidebar-images-website-button

parent-portal

pupil-portal

have-you-got-feedback

Design Technology

Design Technology students design and manufacture a variety of projects using a range of materials, skills and equipment. The work produced is to a high standard, reflecting the hard work, enthusiasm and dedication of both the department staff and the students.

'Design can be art. Design can be aesthetics. Design is so simple, that's why it is so complicated,’
Paul Rand.

Our Design Technology Teachers

Khuram Sardar

Stephen Massey

Justine Phillips

Khuram-Sardar

How is Design Technology taught at BSM?

The department’s philosophy for the teaching and learning of the students is to:

  • Give clear Assessment for Learning targets and guidance to raise attainment and aid progression;
  • Provide examination and coursework assistance through one to one feedback, examination and coursework guides and revision programs;
  • Encourage the use of teamwork to solve problems;
  • Develop soft skills such as leadership, communication, presentation and research;
  • Enhance ICT skills;
  • Encourage student centered, personalised, independent learning and thinking;
  • Use examples from the real world to give an understanding of the design of products;
  • Have an open door policy to allow students to seek help when required.

What will students learn?

Pupils start to enjoy DT in the Primary School. When they join the Senior School, the students in Years 7, 8 and 9 design and manufacture a range of more complex products. The work is designed to prepare them for GCSE by focusing on product design which also enables them to acquire a variety of skills and knowledge.

There is a large range of machinery and equipment in the Design Technology Department that students are taught to use. We have a laser cutter which is used comprehensively at all levels to manufacture products of increasing complexity; we use 3D software which allows the students to produce 3D products on our 3D printer, a developing technology; there is a good range of machinery including bandsaws, scroll saws, a milling machine and lathes; a comprehensive range of hand tools; and a spray area which the students use to complete their products to a high standards. The department is always researching new technology and equipment to introduce it into the curriculum.

At GCSE the students all study AQA Design Technology: Product Design. In Y10 they design and make two major projects to prepare them for their GCSE coursework, which they start at the end of the year. Y11 is spent designing and manufacturing their product. The theory element needed is taught throughout the two years with a comprehensive revision programme at the end of Y11. At the end of the course they sit a 2 hour examination which accounts for 40% of their overall grade and the coursework is assessed for the remaining 60%. At this level products can be manufactured from a huge range of materials and the students are encouraged to use their imagination and be innovative in their work.

At A Level, we continue to teach Product Design. The course enables the students to focus on working in more realistic design situations. The coursework is now 50% of the final result. There is also a 2 hour examination which accounts for the remaining 50% of the overall grade. Their full design and creative skills are encouraged and developed, allowing them to work in areas that they may wish to develop in further education. They work more independently and develop their own style of design. At A2 they can work with a client to design and manufacture their product and so replicate how a designer might work "in the real world". Again the theory is thoroughly covered with a revision programme as at GCSE.

The department also runs a voluntary trip to the Dubai Design Days exhibition each year and uses this to get the students to look at modern design at the exhibition and the surrounding Downtown area of Dubai. The department exhibition is held at the end of Term 3.

Students go from BSM into all areas of design and engineering, from advertising to furniture design, from product design to architecture and all disciplines of engineering. The portfolio of work they produce here can be a deciding factor in getting them onto the course they want and the staff work alongside them to develop their potential to the full and in giving them skills that can be used in a variety of careers.

When you want to know how things really work, study them when they're coming apart,’
William Gibson.

BRITISH EDUCATION INTERNATIONAL FUTURE